Unit C: Collaborating and Sharing Information
- Name 2 of the major uses of Web 2.0 technologies by business. Web 2.0 technologies have helped businesses by cutting costs and improving customer support and innovation. Some businesses use company-based blogs, live chat, and social networking.
- Name 2 of the major uses of Web 2.0 technologies by governments. Governments use Web 2.0 technologies not only to convey information to the public and provide online services, but also to gather information, which then they use to share resources, build consensus, improve services, and make policy decisions.
- What is the purpose of a blog? The purpose of a blog is to convey and share information; it is a “public relations” tool.
- Why would you subscribe to an RSS feed? An RSS feed provides a subscriber with information from frequently updated Web content, such as blogs. The benefit of RSS feeds is that you don’t have to constantly check whether a site has been updated. When an update occurs, you are notified immediately.
- Why would a business use a conversational search engine? In order to monitor what is being said about a company online, a business can use a conversational search engine, which sends updates whenever a person with standing in the industry or area of interest comments about a company or other topic online.
- How could offering a product or service for free make money in the long run?. Because in order to get the free product, potential customers fill out a form with their information. Businesses use this information for customer profiling and data mining, the process of gathering consumer information and then analyzing it in order to get potential clients.
- Why is it a good idea to have an agenda for any meeting?. An agenda is a list of items you plan to discuss at a meeting. It is a good idea to have an agenda because groups can easily get off track, and also to avoid missing an important idea or subject to discuss.
- What might be the result of a polling question that shows the questioner’s bias? It will probably result in a “push poll”, where the pollster asks questions to push a respondent toward one idea and away from another.
- Name 2 situations that would indicate that your poll does not represent an effective sampling of opinion. For example, if the poll allows for an individual person to vote more than once. Another example, if polling the student body, cannot poll only freshmen or only seniors, or exclude some majors. The sample of respondents must be random and broad.
- Name 3 benefits of collaborative software. Flexibility, cost savings, access to documents from anywhere at any time.
Unit D: Perfecting Your Online Persona
- List 2 elements that make up your e-persona. Your e-mail address, your profile picture.
- Why should you carefully consider each friend request before you accept it?. Because, as people you are linked to, are at the same time linked to other people, you lose control of the distribution of your words or images.
- How can you control your visibility on a site like Facebook? By modifying the privacy settings on your account.
- What is the purpose of a background check?. To find out who you are.
- Why might it be damaging to your reputation if someone sets up an imposter account?. Because the imposter may be pretending it is you, and in this way spam your email list, or worse, steal your identity.
- Discuss 2 key differences between social networking and professional networking. Professional networking connects people based on their shared professions, industries, contacts, and goals. Social networking is casual, connects you with all kinds of people.
- Name 3 services that an online professional organization can provide. Training and development, networking, job postings.
- What is the difference between a blog and a micro blog?. The difference is that a micro blog only allows a limited number of characters.
- Why might a reader object to seeing ads on your blog? Besides of annoyance, because maybe the purpose of the site itself does not agree with advertising.
- What is the purpose of an e-portfolio? You can gather your important online information in one place. It is your personal home page.